6.10.2011

Plans!

It feels so nice to have things falling into place, but it also feels like we are about to hit the downside of a big roller coaster hill.

We are headed to Seattle in a couple short weeks to have the ultrasound and echo done for little Gaberham :)

He is much chubbier than Judah at this stage, as getting up to use the restroom every 2 hours all night is already getting pretty tiring at 27 weeks! Less than 13 weeks to go... Gulp!

Our plan at this point is to check out both Seattle Childrens Hospital (where Gabriel will be transferred after birth to receive the best care possible) and to also check out University of Washington- where I will be delivering. They work closely together and I am hoping that it will benefit us greatly.

I am hoping that Gabriel might be able to stay at University of Washington for a couple days after birth, pending that his stats are good and his heart can wait the expected week or so before surgery (praying for that). That way I will be able to stay with him for my recovery, or at least near to him- and I will get that time to bond... or at least mildly bond- with my little man.

Our last birth experience we had to have Judah taken away to the NICU within a few minutes of birth... so I know what we are looking forward to in that aspect. It was really hard. It was more than hard, it was physically painful. I think that all the hormones your body surges through after you give birth give you the will to fight off cougars for your child- and I felt like I was in grab my baby and run mode. Letting strangers have your little new tiny baby is awful... So I am hoping that getting to meet the nurses and doctors and see where we will be might fend off that stress a little bit. Nick will be with the baby when I am not, so that will relieve a tiny bit of stress too- knowing that he will be in good hands.

In reviewing hospitals... I will say that although St. Lukes is potentially the best hospital in Idaho- I wouldn't recommend it for any parent with a child that has an issue. The medical staff was non-informative, uncommunicative, uncompassionate, and they lied to our faces a few times.

They didn't respect our wishes (mine to breastfeed), and they would run tests without our knowledge. Not to mention not even informing us when they inserted an NG tube (feeding tube) into our 2 day old infant without our knowledge or without informing us what it was for. When we asked the purpose (Judah was eating well)- they said it was to remove bubbles from his stomach..

This was pointless in a newborn infant who had not undergone any surgery and was eating well. It was not only that, but the way that they couldn't explain why they needed to place it was so upsetting. Then when we asked if it could be removed (since he was eating fine and always had been at this point)- they told us it would be painful to remove it. Just in case anyone doesn't know- it isn't painful to remove it. Uncomfortable, perhaps, but Judah didn't even cry. If they wanted to practice inserting an NG tube on an infant, they should buy a doll. Not use my little child for a practice target.

The staff also repeated tests on my son, because they lost his chart (more than once). My husband and I trusted them, and hadn't really worried about this, but we noticed pretty quickly when it happened. I remembered the test and asked why they were doing it again. They had no idea.

We were given to interns who told us if we took our baby home he might die.

Just so anyone who is confused knows... Our son was not on the verge of death. He was doing fabulously. He just had stridor.

Stridor= noisy breathing.

It wasn't effecting him at this point in any way- they just couldn't figure out why he sounded so scary. No joke. The stridor would not effect him until he was months older, and it would certainly not kill him.

So telling a scared new couple of parents that their son could die if they took him home because you have never encountered Stridor before (they were new interns).... Bad idea!

I am looking forward to working with people who are not only professional, but who have practiced medicine for longer than a few years and aren't doing their internships. I am looking forward to being prepared to be our son's advocate and to make sure no one touches his toes without giving us a good reason.

I love being a little more prepared to deal with doctors and nurses. I also think it will be lovely to deal with ones from a more well known hospital- and a hospital that is truly prepared for the situations that may arise.

I'm sure St. Lukes is great for babies with normal little issues- but my kids are extra special.

:) Okay, maybe every mommy feels that way.

Anyway, be praying for our gas tank, our trip up on the 25th, Nick's work to be accommodating, Nick's school to work with him well and for him to stay on top of things, Judah's traveling abilities, finances for all the small things, a babysitter for the 28th (all day ultrasound) and extremely amazing knowledgeable doctors.

Also continue to pray for Gabe's heart and that chance of a miracle coming through. I would definitely not mind forgoing all surgeries and having my baby at St. Alphonsus in Boise. I really was looking forward to that 1 hour massage afterwards ;)

Bless you and your families! <3

1 comment:

Hope's Blog said...

You all remain in my thoughts and prayers as you continue your journey. St. Luke's sounds like a scary place to have a baby, but I am sure it is fine if they are healthy. Even at the best hospital, you will still spend a lot of time questioning stuff...the difference is they will have good answers for everything they do...and will NEVER lose the chart.

There was an error in this gadget

Total Pageviews